Saturday, October 24, 2009

Coming To Terms With Your Disappointing Son

Or at least, that's how I've described my impending playthrough of Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XII had a lot going for it on the outset with me: Yasumi Matsuno was directing it (I was a huge fan of his work from Final Fantasy Tactics & Vagrant Story), the game looked gorgeous, it took place in Ivalice from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (allegedly), was the next mainline entry in the Final Fantasy series, the characters all looked charming, the voice acting was extremely well done, etc.

The battle system sank the ship for me however.

I hated the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII. I sadly decided I was going to pass on it, until some blog posts convinced me to give it a shot, that it was different from the demo in a few key ways.

No it wasn't.

I played it for about 20 hours and shelved it after conferring with a friend of mine who said I wouldn't enjoy the rest of it. And there it has sat, for 2-3 years.

After talking with a couple other friends who spoke highly of it and see the game pop up on a few web sites as a BEST GAME EVER (shout out to Gamespite), I've decided to give the game another go, with a much more open mind this time. I know what I'm getting myself into, and hopefully I'll be able to get into the swing of things. I'm hoping to make this a log of sorts on my journey to complete this game, hopefully before the release of Final Fantasy XIII.

Let's see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment